Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer 2011 Bible Study: Week 4 Day 7

I am sitting here, at the library in town. My chair is facing the window that is looking out onto the street and I am fascinated as I watch all the cars drive by. I can't help but pray that each and every one of them knows our Sweet Jesus, mostly because I cannot bare the thought of what my own life would be without Him. He is my hope. He is my peace. He is my joy and He is my comfort.

I know, as we spend time in His Word we learn more and more about Him, but my heart feels like I still don't know enough. I can remember when I first started to date my husband. I was in college and we would spend time in the evenings chatting on line, back then, it was before Facebook Chat, it was called AOL Instant Messenger. We would talk about everything. We would chat about work, school, friends, our high school lives, sports we liked, our families. We would just chat and chat and chat... and before I knew it, my roommate had gone to bed and the clock said AM. When we were dating, I could not get enough of him, I still can't. I adore spending time with him.

I love to drive anywhere with him, we have great chats as we drive. But some of the most peaceful moments between us have also been while we have driven some where and hardly said anything. We were just together, in silence, not because anything was wrong or we were mad at each other, more so because we didn't have anything to say. We do the same thing at home, some of my most beloved times at home are when we are just hanging out, either grilling outside while our son plays, watching TV on the couch or just being in the same room.

And, one thing I have come to learn, is that my relationship with Jesus is the same. I spent time this past week in several meetings, talking with people, meeting up with various girls within the ministry, meeting with mentors and friends and talking to family on the phone. And here I sit, alone, computer in hand, at the library, enjoying the peace with my Sweet Jesus. I feel like we are on a date, just Him and me, enjoying the day together, not really saying much, but never the less, I am enjoying His presence.

Lord, come and spend time with me as I look into Your Word. Teach Me. Amen

We are going to spend sometime in the book of Philemon today. I love looking at the lives of the people who LOVED and LIVED with my Sweet Jesus. We can learn a lot about who He is by looking into the lives of the people who love Him!

Turn with me to Philemon and read the entire book.

I have tried to spend time like this before with Jesus and I have always fallen asleep. Even now, my eyes are heavy and I could fall asleep in no time, but the presence of His peace if overwhelming. I remember having these moments while I worked a the hospital in town too. I sat at a desk that faced a beautifully landscaped garden, with floor to ceiling windows. And I often found myself, just sitting still, watching the world outside the window and enjoying the presence of my Sweet Jesus, but then the phone would ring, or someone would need something and my time with Him was over. But today it is different. Today, my time is uninterrupted.

I picked up the house a little bit before I left, I still have laundry that needs to be done and "work" I need to finish up, but I cannot escape the peace of His presence. I cannot help but fall in love with the letter Paul wrote within this book.

Paul wrote this letter from Rome when he was under house arrest. Onesimus was a domestic slave who belonged to Philemon, a wealthy man and member of the church of Colosse. He was a Greek landowner and had fallen in love with Sweet Jesus within Paul's ministry. The Colossian church met within the walls of his home.

Onesimus had run away from Philemon and made his way to visit Paul. While he was meeting with Paul, he was also introduced to our Sweet Jesus. Paul persuaded him to return to Philemon and Onesimus returns.

Within verse 1 & 2 we are introduced to other people, Timonth, Apphia, and Archippus. Timothy was one of Paul's trusted companions and the recipient of Paul's Letters 1st and 2ndd Timothy. Apphia may have been Philemon's wife and Archippus may have been Philemon's son. Paul included them in this letter so that they might read the letter along with Philemon and encourage him to take Paul's advice.

Read Philemon verse 4-7 carefully.

I love hoe Paul reflected on Philemon's love and faith. He had opened his heart and his home to the church and I am personally encouraged by that. Even in the midst of everything that needs to be done around the house, even if there are dishes in the sink and laundry on the floor of the bedrooms and unmade beds, don't you think we should follow the example set before us within this book and invite people into our home and love on them?

Read Philemon verse 8-10 carefully.

Paul, as an elder and apostle could have used his authority and just demanded Philemon to deal kindly with Onesimus. But, instead, Paul chose a different approach. Paul wrote this letter and based his request on Philemon's commitment to Sweet Jesus. Paul wanted Philemon's heartfelt obedience not forced obedience.

As we continue our relationship with our Sweet Jesus, I am sure there are people in our lives that know right from wrong and yet, chose wrong. Do we want to be the type of people to force our loved ones to follow Jesus? Do you want to be the type of person to demand or guilt someone into acting a certain way?

I have experienced one's person in attempting to guilt me into doing things they want. They with hold gifts, they say hurtful things, they try to buy my obedience, and yet, all their efforts have done is destory our relationship.

This book, this letter from Paul, speaks to me. It is heavy enough for me to take in slowly, it requires me to evaluate how I approach my loved ones. I find it interesting that Paul asked Philemon to forgive his runaway slave, in which he had the right, by law, to kill. And Paul actually encouraged him to go one step farther, he asked Philemon to take Onesimus in as a brother.

I wonder how may of us have people in our lives that require our forgiveness. I wonder if we can truly forgive them and change the way we treat them. I know, personally, from first hand experience, that this is easier said than done, but are we willing to work at it for the sake of our Sweet Jesus, because He has asked us to?

I love how Paul says "If you consider me as a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me", this sentence strikes me to the core. Can we welcome those who know right and yet do wrong as we would welcome our Sweet Jesus? Can we forgive those who hurt and harm us and change how we treat them, or talk about them?

Lord, change me, from the inside out. Help me to change the way I treat those I have forgiven. Help me to welcome those that are difficult to welcome as I would welcome you. Thank you for teaching me about You, through Your servant and friend Paul. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Genuine reconciliation is so sweet. It is the Kingdom come among us. Perhaps my favorite thing about Paul is that he was himself a minister of reconciliation and that he recommends becoming one (2 Cor 5:18-20).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgiveness is a gard thing but is very much needed. It is easily said, but not easily done. I sit back and wonder how many times do I really forgive my trespassers? I would like to say all the time, but am I really be honest? This is a great time to reflect on forgiveness and look into our lives and ask God to revile all to us in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had family in town....through my whole schedule out of whack. But it's good to be back in this study today (Even though it's really the study from two days ago. It's all good, God's Word is always on time.) I was challenged today by the concept of true forgiveness = changed behavior towards the person I forgave. Will be pondering my behavior today. Love and hugs to you as you take a break to get some refreshing from the Lord. I will be working my way backwards through the days I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again cool way to relate to an old letter to current times.

    ReplyDelete