Monday, July 19, 2010

We are not alone - Written by Cathryn

CS Lewis once said, “We read to know we are not alone.” When I first heard these words, I thought about them only in the context of reading books. I was thoroughly impressed by the deepness of what it meant and by how true it was.

I, myself, am a huge reader; I find so much pleasure in reading a good book, whether it be an old love story by Jane Austen, a story about the hardships of life by one of the Brontë sisters, or a wonderfully written good versus evil story by JK Rowling. Every story I have read I have been able to relate to: I fell in love with Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, I fought evil, and won, with those whom had stood behind me long before I even know who I was in Harry Potter, and I felt the pain of loss in Jane Eyre.

Books don’t just tell any old story, they tell the story that ends up being what I have experienced in my life.

As I thought more about CS Lewis’s wise words, I understood that not only did “read” refer to reading books, but it was completely relevant to what the bible has to offer. Every single word of the bible offers wisdom and guidance for all times of life, including when we feel alone. I have found, at the times when I am at my loneliest, that what I need more than anything else is guidance or someone to tell me that I will be okay eventually. The precious word of God provides me with that security. I read the bible to know that I am not the only person who has ever experienced the things I face on a daily basis.

Romans 14:7 says, “For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.” That right there is proof enough that CS Lewis’s words are true; I read to know I am not alone, and the bible tells me straight out that I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment