Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer 2011 Bible Study: Week 4 Day 1

Well, today is Father’s Day. My poor husband has been sick all day, since yesterday. And my little man, has been sick too. So, while I spent time in the night watching them sleep and praying over them, I have had a lot of time to think about the meaning behind today. I have a fabulous father and have been blessed with a father-in-law that is near and dear to me. But, nothing makes the father thing real, like watching my husband be a daddy. He plays cars and trains with our son. He wrestles with me. They laugh. They watch movies. They play video games. They golf. They run around the park. They are tight, as tight can be. So, I have been reflecting on my Heavenly Father most of the day and wanted to share some thoughts I have with you.

Father – Thank you for calling me your daughter. Thank you for claiming me as your own. Thank you for loving me. Amen.

Turn with me to 1st John 3:1: Read it carefully!

In some translations, and in the original text, this passage begins with a command: “See or Behold”

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 1st John 3:1(NIV)

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 1st John 3:1 (King James Version)

John wants us to observe the manifestations of the Father's love. The author, John’s purpose is to describe the kind of love the Father gives His children, “what great love.” The Greek word translated “what great” is found only six times in the New Testament and always implies astonishment and admiration.

This verse tells us who we are, we are daughters of God. We are members of His family.

What is interesting to note here is that John does not say, “The Father loves us.” In doing so, he would be describing a condition. Instead, he tells us that the Father has “lavished” His love on us, and this, in turn, portrays an action and the extent of God’s love. It is also interesting to note that John has chosen the word “Father” purposely. That word implies the father-child relationship. However, God did not become Father when He adopted us as children. God's fatherhood is eternal. He is eternally the Father of Jesus Christ, and through Jesus He is our Father. Through Jesus we receive the Father's love and are called “children of God.”

Turn with me to Romans 8:17 and read it carefully.

It amazes me to be called a daughter of God. What an honor it is that God calls us His children and gives us the assurance that as His children we are heirs and co-heirs with Christ.

Turn with me to John 1:12 and read it carefully!

In this Gospel, John also tells us that God gives the right to become children of God to all who in faith have received Christ as Lord and Savior. God extends His love to His Son Jesus Christ and, through Him, to all His adopted children.

When John then tells us “that is what we are!” he declares the reality of our status. Right now, at this very moment, we are His children, YOU ARE HIS DAUGHTER! In other words, this is not a promise which God will fulfill in the future. No, the truth is we are already God's children. We enjoy all the rights and privileges our adoption entails, because we have come to know God as our Father.

As His children we experience His love. As His children we acknowledge Him as our Father, for we have an experiential knowledge of God. We put our trust and faith in Him who loves us, provides for us, and protects us as our earthly fathers should. Also as earthly fathers should, God disciplines His children when they disobey or ignore His commands. Hebrews 12:10 tells us, He does this for our benefit, so “that we may share in His holiness”.

Spend sometime in the Word of these scriptures and mediate on what they say about our identity as His children.

Romans 8:17

1st Peter 2:5

2nd Corinthians 5:17

2nd Peter 1:4

But more than any of the above—more significant than any title or position—is the simple fact that we are God's children and He is our heavenly Father. He gave HIS SON, our Brother, Sweet Jesus, to die for our sins. Praise Him for His love for us!

Feel free to comment: What do you think about God, YOUR Father?

Happy Father’s Day, Daddy! Thank you for adopting me. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for calling me your own. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. And this parent-child relationship is not broken (except by us but restored by Him as we are willing). There is no manipulation or security issues. We are His and He is ours and there is precious wholeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the fact that he won't give up on me is reason enough for him to be praised. I am amazed daily that love is everlasting! 2nd corenthians 5:17 is for sure one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete