Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer 2011 Bible Study: Week 4 Day 3

Hello my beloved blog Bible Study friends! Here we are, on day three of our fourth week and I am really excited about the Word the Lord is going to teach us today. Today is the first day of summer, and I adore this time of year. I love the fresh produce, I love the warm sunny days and cool evenings and I will even go as far as saying I like the creepy crawlers that come out this time of year. I love the summer.

I wanted to point out that our lesson yesterday in Luke talked about our Sweet Jesus and the Son of God. Our Sweet Jesus is the “only begotten of the Father” as state in John 1:14. This terminology is used 42 times in the New Testament, “Son of God” affirms the deity of our Sweet Jesus Christ. And I love how we have learned another one of His Names.

Now, I grew up in a family that loved to go camping and one of the most beloved places we went was a place that was right on the edge of a river, we would go to sleep at night listening to the water run down stream and we would often get up early, and I mean early, and go fishing with my dad. My mom would stay back and make the best breakfast one could ever image and we, us three girls and my dad, would head down stream to a spot on the river with large enough rocks that we could sit in the morning sun and fish. It was by far one of my favorite memories as a kid and it is something I have been so excited to pass onto my kids. We go camping as a family, my husband, son and I, in the very same spot and I just love it! I can’t wait until my son and his daddy spend their mornings fishing. And the reason, for my fishing memories is because one of my favorite Bible Stories ever, involves Sweet Jesus and a few fisherman, and that is where we are going to dive in today.

Lord – Thank You for Your word. Thank you that the stories in Your Word are meaningful. May Your Word and the stories within it continue to be my favorite. Teach me something new today and reveal a little bit more about who Your Son really is as we spend time together, You, me, and Your Word. Amen.

Turn with me to Luke 5:1-11 and read it carefully.

I love this story. I love that it is only found within the Gospel of Luke, mostly because I love the way the Gospel of Luke is written and I adore the fact that all four Gospels; Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, all give us a different perspective on the life of our Sweet Jesus. Just because this story isn’t found in the other Gospels, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, it mean that Luke was the only one to write about it and we get to enjoy a little piece of his life and relationship with Sweet Jesus.

Luke gives us a beautiful portrait of our compassionate Savior. Jesus was not “turned off” by the poor and the needy; in fact, they were a primary focus of His ministry. Israel at the time of Jesus was a very class-conscious society. The weak and downtrodden were literally powerless to improve their lot in life and were especially open to the message that “the kingdom of God is near you” (Luke 10:9).

When we first open the Word and read today’s scripture we are told that Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret with people crowing Him and listening to the Word of God. So, I can assume that He was teaching or preaching to the people. But, as I dug in a little farther, I have come to find out that the Lake of Gennesaret was also known as the Sea of Galilee or the Sea of Tiberias.

While He was standing at the water’s edge He noticed two boats that were left there by the fisherman, who were busy washing their nets. It is important to note that the fisherman on the Sea of Galilee or the Lake of Gennesaret used nets as a common way of fishing. These nets were often bell0shaped nets with lead weights around the edges. A net would be thrown flat onto the water and the lead weights would cause it to sink, trapping the surrounding fish. The fisherman would then pull a cord that was attached to the net to close any openings the fish might be able to escape from. Once the nets were full, the men would pull them onto their boats. While fishing, the nets would also trap sand, weeds and other debris so it was important for the fisherman to wash out their nets following their time on the water.

Verse three makes me laugh, our Sweet Jesus climbed into a boat, one belonging to Simon/Peter and asked Simon/Peter to take Him out into the water. He needed some space, He didn’t leave the people He was teaching, He just needed a little bit of breathing room. So there He is, sitting in a boat, teaching the Word of God to people just hanging out at the water’s edge listening to Him. I don’t know about you, but there have been moments in my life, either professionally or personally, in which I just needed a little space between me and the people that surrounded me. I am so blessed to know that my Sweet Jesus can relate to that feeling.

So once He was done teaching He turned to Simon/Peter and told him to take the boat out into the deep waters and throw out his nets to catch some fish. Mind you, it is mid-day. Our Sweet Jesus wanted to go fishing in the middle of the day, bless His heart. We read on in verse 5 and see Simon/Peter’s reaction. He simply says, “Well, we have fished all night, and haven’t caught anything. But because YOU say so, I will do it”… Imagine the questions Simon/Peter must have had. Fisherman normally fished at night. And fishing was hard work, so I am sure the man was tired and frustrated because he hadn’t caught anything. Yet, just because Sweet Jesus asked him to do it, he did it. I cannot get over that, Simon/Peter’s only reason for fishing in the middle of the day was because Sweet Jesus asked him to. People must have thought these two men were nuts!

But, take a moment and read on, carefully, look at Luke 5:6-11

We are told that James and John were Simon/Peter’s partners in fishing. We are also told that the nets Jesus and Simon/Peter had thrown into the water were so full that they started to break and they needed help from James and John. Yet, both boats were so full with fish that they started to take on water and sink.

Simon/Peter must have been awestruck at the work of His Sweet Jesus. Notice, his very first emotion, he immediately felt his own insignificance in comparison to Jesus’ greatness. This is a man who had watched Jesus heal people and cast out demons, but this was different, this was more personal, this involved the day to day routine and needs of these men. And JESUS CARED ABOUT IT!

I want to point out that I adore this story because it is proof that our Sweet Jesus cares about us and the tasks that happen on a daily basis. He heals the sick, He saved the World from our sin and yet, He cares about the daily tasks of our jobs, family, friends, school work and so on. Jesus cared about the fisherman, the men who might not have made the most money or had the most glamorous job, He cared about what they did.

As we read on, we are told that Jesus said to these men, “Do not be afraid, from now on, you will catch men.” And these men left everything and followed Him. This was the disciples 2nd calling into ministry. We read about their first in Matthew 4:18-22, but the thing we come to learn within this story is that Peter, Andrew, James and John had gone back to fishing. They continued to watch Jesus, to learn about who He was and to really see what this thing called life with Him was all about. And as they watched, Jesus established His authority within the synagogues, He healed the sick, He cast out demons and now, He had provided in a very personal way. He met them on their level, He helped these men understand in who He really was through a miracle that involved their daily lives. From that point on, they were in, they left their nets and remained with Jesus.

I am so comforted to know that Jesus was patient with these men. He took the time to meet them where they were at. He spoke to them. He continued to pursue them. He had given them their 1st chance to remain with Him and yet, here we find out He gave them a 2nd. For me, this story is personal. You see, sometimes it takes me a little while to really get to the point of Simon/Peter and say to my Sweet Jesus, “I will do this, just because YOU asked me to”, I normally come around to that statement, but sometimes it takes me longer than others.

For example, I know full well, that Sweet Jesus called me into the ministry of Girls Only Ministry long before I actually said yes. To be honest, He made His request known almost 6 years ago, and it took 4 years for me to really know that He was asking me to do ministry. We talked about it, Him and I. I asked Him lots of questions and He provided the people, the legal help, the mentors and the girls. He kept filling my nets with fish over and over again until I finally, a few months ago, said whole heartily to Him, Yes, I will do this thing called Girls Only Ministry, simply because You have asked me to, and I will do it however YOU want it to be done.

Comment for the day: How does it make you feel to know that our Sweet Jesus doesn’t have a 3 strikes out rule? How does it make you feel to know that He will continue to pursue you and talk to you and provide for you in very practical ways?

Lord, thank You for not giving up on me. Thank You for the fact that You love me and will never leave me. I love you. I am so thankful to know that You will not kick me out of Your family. I am blessed by today’s Word and I am so honored to know that You care about the simple, small, tedious tasks of my everyday life. Thank You. Amen

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think I'm in the ministry that I am more for my sake than for the people around me. Two things I know: I am deficient and He is faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing to think that our God will never give up on us. We are so used to people in the world and when we say or do something to hurt them or we get offended, we are so quick as people to drop them out of our lives so fast and our Heavenly Father does not do that at all. It is so nice to know that he is always there and we can always turn to him and we need to during all times in our lives. Not just the bad or the hard times. We need to praise him always. If more of us people can be God-like, than we can show other how to be Christ-like as well and give people more chances. Always something to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fact that he will never stop Persuing us is one of the many things that makes him Godly! For me it is hard enough to furtive someone once... Yet alone forgive them fir a lifetime f misakes!

    ReplyDelete